6 easy ways to learn and master a new skill online
To be successful in life, one needs to keep on learning and as a professional in your field, keeping your skills current is essential if you want to remain relevant and marketable in an increasingly competitive working environment.
Going back to school to acquire new skills could be very challenging especially when one needs to retain his employment at the same time. First of all, you need to pay thousands of dollars per term to attend a prestigious school. With all those budget cuts, busy classrooms, and course shortages, you won’t always get the chance to study exactly what you want.
Online education seems to be the solution; It’s no wonder why professionals from all around the world opt for online programs or take at least one course through an online platform. Online learning has proven to be the greatest revolution in contemporary education. It has opened great opportunities for everyone who wants to learn something.
With online education, you can learn whatever you want, at your own time, pace and convenience. All lectures and needed materials are provided via online platforms, so you’ll easily access them from the comfort of your home. The best thing about online learning is that you can learn in a relaxed manner even if you don’t want to get certified. You only need passion for learning and a quick online search that will take you to the right course. From that point on, you will be the master of your own education.
Now that the importance of online education has been established, i would now reveal to you 6 ways you can easily learn and master a new skill online especially if you are new to this type of education:
1. Identify the skill(s) you want to learn: There are a lot of things you can learn online; you can learn things that will raise your profile, earn the respect of people you value, and create new opportunities. You can learn things that will permanently enrich your life, and open up entirely new areas of the world for exploration and enjoyment. Make a list of new things you want to learn and learn them one skill at a time. Deciding on ONE skill to work on at a time is crucial; If you spread your efforts over too many skills, you won’t improve any of them.
2. Search for online programs: Once you have identified the skill you want to acquire, the next step is to do a google search for platforms delivering the course. Some universities now deliver paid degree programs online while others and some online learning platforms offer their courses for free. At this point you should be able to decide if you want study for a degree or not. Online platforms like Lynda.com, Edx.org, Skillshare, Udemy, Coursera and others offer great courses across various disciplines and you can enrol and study for free. You can also obtain a certificate at the completion of the course for a token.
3. Plan your study time: Once you have searched for and enrolled in an online course, the next step is to plan your study time. How much time in a day do you think you can devote to your course. Although one of the advantages of online education is the ability to learn at your pace and time, this flexibility should not be taken for granted. Most online courses have structured period in which learners are expected to complete a topic, session or the entire program, so you must ensure that your study time must be within the allocated period for the course's topics.
4. Begin your course: Now you have planned your study time, the next step is to begin the course. If you have allocated 2 hours each day to your course, ensure that you use that time for its purpose. Remove anything that can cause distractions when studying. Ensure that your study environment is serene and devoid of anything that could distract you. Ensure that you take notes when studying the course materials or listening to video lectures. These notes help you summarize what you have studied after the 2-hour period. At the end of your 2-hour study, ensure that you assess your level of understanding by taking quizzes or answering questions on the topic.
5. Study outside your study time: Your studying must not be limited to the study hours you have allocated to your course each day. You can still study outside your study time even when you are doing other things like commuting to work, eating, exercising, and relaxing. How? through Audio-books. Audio-books contain voice recordings of the contents of a book. You can search the internet for audio-books on your course. Some of them can be downloaded for free while others can be purchased online. If you love listening to music, audio-books can be a substitute for your mp3 music player.
6. Practice what you have learned: It is not enough to read, you need to practice what you have learned. Skills require practice, and practice requires effort. No practice, no skill acquisition.
6 easy ways to learn and master a new skill online Reviewed by Crystal Edge on 5:00:00 pm Rating: